EF2000-SPR

Archived from https://community.combatsim.com/topic/22480-ef2000-spr/

DrKevDog

EF2000 has a folder SPR and I am hoping to find someone who understands how that process worked within the EF2000 simulation. Since I am not greatly familiar with EF2000, I have no idea what an .spr file is or how sprites or supershapes were used in EF2k.

It is unclear as to whether the acronym stands for sprite or supershape. The extracted version of EF2k has an SPR directory which contains only 2 files: FWSEXPL.spr (8kb) and FWSEXPL1.spr (30kb). FWSEXPL.spr is named in file explode2.3 and FWSEXPL1 is named in the file explode.3. This process is exactly analogous to the way in which many of the .3 files, in TAW, name TM textures. An example is that, in TAW, Taxi_Lux.3 names TAXIWAY in its header just as Explode2.3 names FWSEXPL in EF2k. The interest in this issue is motivated by an interest in finding a larger TAW portal of entry for AGP textures. It appears that TAW looks for a named texture at a specific address in the .3 files header. The byte preceding the texture name is generally 21 which points to the TM folder, in a search for a TM file. Replacing 21 with 31 in TAW, appears to point to the SPR folder, in a search for a .spr file. That process remains to be fully understood. In a perfect world there would be a pointer, in the TAW .3 file headers, to the AGP files in the AGP folder and the problem would be solved. At this point any help would be appreciated 🙂

PS: neither of the EF2K explode.3 files have corresponding .ssd files, which is another curiosity.

HomeFries

I’ll post so that you know I read it, but this is definitely not my area of strength. That said, any way forward from EF2000 files might give us a way into including AGP files in Glide.

Wombat1940
HomeFries

That said, any way forward from EF2000 files might give us a way into including AGP files in Glide.

Roger that! 👍